Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Now in Casper, WY

I never got around to posting yesterday, but there really wasn't much to write about. Last night was spent at a KOA Campground about 30 miles East of Denver. That 5.25 miles that I ran on a not so cushioned treadmill on Monday, along with all the sitting miles made for a not so good run. I was very slow, but I did run 3.5 miles and walk 2 miles.

This morning Hollie and I both woke up very early and were able to get past Denver without having to contend with rush hour traffic. When we drove through Cheyenne this morning, we made a stop at the Sierra Trading Post Outlet store. This is the warehouse location and they had a huge selection of all things outdoors. On the bottom floor is a regular store, but upstairs there were four separate areas. The first had discounted items, the second had more discounted items, the other two areas contained what are called "thirds" meaning that they are items that have been worn, washed, or are perhaps defective and have been returned. I didn't buy anything, but I sure had fun looking.

We arrived in Casper, WY at about 5:00 pm. This is a neat town and even though its population is only about 60,000, it is much like Hattiesburg in that it is a regional shopping center. There have just about all the usual franchise stores. We visited the Sam's so we could stock up on items before we enter Canada which will probably be in a couple of days.

As far as wildlife sightings, we have found it so interesting to see all the antelope grazing along side the cattle. We've also sighted some colorful birds, but since I don't have any of my birding books with me, I can't ID them.

Tonight's run was not so good. It was very windy with gusts up to 25 MPH. The area where we are staying is on a major highway, but I was able to walk through business parking lots and eventually get to an area that had some sidewalks. I ran 4 miles and walked 1 mile. The elevation and the car riding miles are contributing to my runs being very slow. Now, I'm enjoying lying on my bed and catching up on email and this blog.

We're not sure where we will end up tomorrow night. I think my body is ready for a rest day from riding so that will be a determining factor.

No comments: