Friday, July 1, 2011

Left Denali and now in Wasilla, AK




















































































When we arrived in Denali National Park on Tuesday, there were no camping spots available, but we were able to get a spot for Wednesday and Thursday. We also purchased bus tickets for the winderness tour out to Wonder Lake. This was an 11 hour bus trip out about 85 miles and back. Most of it was on a well maintained gravel road and we made frequent rest stops and stops to photograph wildlife. In total we saw 5 grizzly bear, one fox, several caribou, 26 Dall sheep (these were so high up that they simply looked like dots, but with binoculars I counted 26) several moose including a huge bull. This bus trip is the only way to see the wilderness areas of Denali (with the exception of backpacking among the wildlife and I'm chicken with that.)


I think I'm on the downside of this cold that I caught from Hollie. I was so tired yesterday that I just could not think about running.


This morning we took the sled dog tour/demonstration. That was quite interesting to learn that in Winter, dog sled in the major mode of transportation. Since much of Denali is a designated wilderness area, there is limited motor transportation during Winter.


We are now in Wasilla, AK which seems to be a very nice city. They have a population of about 10,000 but there are outlying communities that make it seem much larger. Also, they have most of the major big box stores including Wal-mart and Target. We are parked in the Wal-mart lot with about 20 other RVs. I am now in a coffee cafe which is located just across the street---with free internet.


As soon as I get this posted, I'm going to head out for a run which will probably be slow and short but I'm sure I'll fell better; that's the way it usually works.





















No comments: