Monday, July 25, 2011

Tok, AK

Yesterday we drove from Valdez to Tok and are staying at the Sourdough Campground. We will also be here tonight.

I have realized that I have not mentioned much about the trumpeter swans that we have seen. While we were in Valdez, we saw two. Yesterday we saw two adults and 5 young. This was about 40 miles before Tok. They were pretty far away, but with binnoculars we were able to watch them as they moved around their nest.

As far as my running goes, I have done 30 miles in the past 7 days. Where we are now located as an extensive network of bike paths. This is really strange because Tok has a very small population. I guess somebody is good at grant writing. I'm not complaining as I ran 4.5 miles and walked 1 mile.

This campground has nightly entertainment with a "Johnny Cash Tribute Artist" who has a good speaker system with good back up CDs. He entertains and in return gets meals, RV hookup, tips and can sell his CDs. In addition, there is a nightly sourdough pancake toss. You are given two chances to toss a pancake into a bucket from a distance of about 10 feet. If successful, you get a free pancake breakfast. I came close with a ringer.

Tomorrow we are to meet a couple who have told us they will have the cash to purchase our 16 foot Scamp. If the deal works out, we will then drive to Haines, AK and take a ferry (36 hours) to Prince Rupert. This goes through the inside passage which is a very beautiful area. I did this ferry trip from Bellingham, WA to Juneau many years a go, but Hollie wants to see the inside passage and it will cut off quite a bit of our driving distance. We have already made arrangements with the Scamp people in Backus, MN so that we will continue on there to pick up a 19 foot 5th wheel Scamp. I've spent most of today getting the trailer clean and everything packed so that we can hit the road tomorrow as soon as the deal is complete. Cross your fingers for us. We really do like our Scamp, but the larger 5th wheel will better meet our needs.

Time to go for a run. I need to get in some miles since I probably won't be able to run for 4-5 days.

No comments: